Question
Posted by: Anne | 2007/08/13

Concerned Mother

Hi, I am a mother of a 5 year old girl. My daughter was a few months old when i have discovered that the entry to her vagina was closed. I left it until she was just a little bit over two years old I took her to a Gynea which couldn't tell me what the cause was he operated twice on her to open the vagina entrance and a have also asked him is everything normal inside and he said yes, but after each operation it stayed open for a while and when the ointment was finished it closed up again I served on the net and found (Hymen???? Not sure if this is the case. She suffered a few days ago with urine infection i am worried there's no way for the infection to come out?? Mensturation??I am very worried what if she becomes very sick after each infection, Please advise!!!! Any Doctor's in JHB area you can refer me to...Worried Mother

It is difficult to say what the cause is without an examination. One of the commonest causes is just that the lips stick together. This is related to low hormones and is sorted out by using oestrogen cream. Many gynaecologists are not experienced in young girls' problems. You could go to the teaching hospital in your area, where there should be expertise in this area.