Question
Posted by: Anne | 2007/08/13

Concerned Mother

Hi, I am a mother of a 5 year old girl. My daughter was a few months old when i have discovered that the entry to her vagina was closed. I left it until she was just a little bit over two years old I took her to a Gynea which couldn't tell me what the cause was he operated twice on her to open the vagina entrance and a have also asked him is everything normal inside and he said yes, but after each operation it stayed open for a while and when the ointment was finished it closed up again I served on the net and found (Hymen???? Not sure if this is the case. She suffered a few days ago with urine infection i am worried there's no way for the infection to come out?? Mensturation??I am very worried what if she becomes very sick after each infection, Please advise!!!! Any Doctor's in JHB area you can refer me to...Worried Mother

Dear Anne
No the Hymen sits a bit deeper inside and won't regrow when removed. At this point in time, it is not that important that the vaginal opening should be open - the opening for the urine sits more to the front - unless the two lips or labia sticks together, it should not block the urine opening. You can take her to a gyne just before she starts menstruation - at about 9-11 years. Too many operations may cause scar tissue which can cause problems later in life. Elmarie Freysen is a good woman gyne in Johburg - youll find her details in the telephone book.