Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/02/10

CONCERNED FRIEND NEEDS ADVICE ABOUT DRUGS

A friend of mine at the office is going through a rather tough time. Her son is on drugs and putting his mother on a roller coaster ride of guilt, worry and shame. He has tried to commit suicide more than once putting her through absolute hell (obviously) each time. Please could you suggest a support group for her to join in the Pretoria area. As I don't think she can carry on like this without sharing her feelings, which she doesn't do because she is scared of the stigma. Please help.

Cocerned, it certainly sounds like she deserves counselling to help her free herself from the guilt that this addict son is trying to deflect onto her. I don't know of any support group specifically dealing with this precise need, but try calling Alanon, or even AA, to check on the availability of support for parents of substance abusers, reachable by her. Otherwise, at least a general counsellor could still help her a lot.

2
Posted by: CONCERNED | 2004/02/10

Dawn, that will be a great help, you can e-mail me on PhaalC@aforbes.co.za or you can phone me on 012 452 7308 (Working hours)

Reply to CONCERNED
Posted by: Dawn | 2004/02/10

I know of a support group who can help. How can I get hold of you?

Reply to Dawn