Posted by: Concerned | 2004/02/10



A friend of mine at the office is going through a rather tough time. Her son is on drugs and putting his mother on a roller coaster ride of guilt, worry and shame. He has tried to commit suicide more than once putting her through absolute hell (obviously) each time. Please could you suggest a support group for her to join in the Pretoria area. As I don't think she can carry on like this without sharing her feelings, which she doesn't do because she is scared of the stigma. Please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Cocerned, it certainly sounds like she deserves counselling to help her free herself from the guilt that this addict son is trying to deflect onto her. I don't know of any support group specifically dealing with this precise need, but try calling Alanon, or even AA, to check on the availability of support for parents of substance abusers, reachable by her. Otherwise, at least a general counsellor could still help her a lot.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: CONCERNED | 2004/02/10

Dawn, that will be a great help, you can e-mail me on or you can phone me on 012 452 7308 (Working hours)

Posted by: Dawn | 2004/02/10

I know of a support group who can help. How can I get hold of you?

Reply to Dawn

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.