Posted by: Jenn | 2008/08/06

Concerned about weight and health

Hope anyone can help!! My sister was always a bit chubby as a kid. Before she had her two kids she had a flat tummy because of diet after diet after diet. She also has a pear shape body and she doesn' t understand that she will never get rid of the shape. She looked so good I would have given anything to look like her. After she had her kids she lost all the extra weight and everyone was amazed that she even had kids.
Things were going okay for a while then she started eating only bread and cucumber because her husband made a stupid remark. She only ate that for over two months. And she lives of coffee. After a while she suddenly gained weight. I was shocked when I didn' t see her for a week and after that she was almost double her size. She now ordered injections through the post and also pills.

My concern now is that she has been using it for a while now and nothing has changed.
The other big concern is that she told me yesterday that her nose was bleeding the night before and also the next morning.

Could this have anything to do with the diet products. I desperatly want her to stop it but she won' t.

I don' t know if anyone has some advice for me.

I' m thinking of going to her house once a week to do some tae-bo with her just to get her off the pills but I can' t babysit her the whole week.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Jenn
I also think that your sister urgently requires help because she is suffering from an eating disorder and this can ruin her health. Eating Disorders need to be treated with a team approach. Please persuade her to consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer her), to help her work out what underlying psychological problems are driving her to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. She should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist her to get back to eating normally again and lose the extra weight she has suddenly gained. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Try to get her to go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.