Posted by: Beez | 2009/09/22

concerned about 6 month olds diet

My lb is 6 months but I'  m concerned that his not getting all the nutrients he needs...

He refuses formula TOTALLY... I express about 250ml for him for during the day that he rarely finishes there'  s always about 20-30 ml left..

His currently on 3 meals a day cereal in the morning he loves his fruity and dessert meals for lunch and usually finishes those but he doesn'  t really like veggie meals (freshly made and purity'  s) usually for supper...

Also he breastfeeds anything between 3-8 times during the night… 

I' m concerned about his calcium and protein intake, his been on solids since 3 half months (advised by paed) because he' d refuse to drink and would look at you and start chewing. oh and he also has 4 teeth now at 6 months 2 on top and 2 at the bottom...
any advice on how to improve baby' s diet and nutrient intake...

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Beez
I see that your baby is already 6 months old. Although it is difficult to determine how much mother's milk your baby is ingesting by drinking 3-8 times a night (this must be exhausting for you), it may well be sufficient for his needs when combined with the 250 ml that you express. You can ensure that your baby receives extra protein and calcium by offering him infant yoghurt and milk-based baby foods. However, it may be an idea to change his formula or offer him the formula in a cup. He may not like drinking the formula from a bottle. You can also add formula to his breakfast cereal and the fruit meals to boost his protein and calcium intake. It may be a good idea to have his nutrient intake assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will advise if he needs additional calcium, vitamins and minerals.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.