Question
Posted by: Meshell | 2005/11/30

Concerned

I am not sure if this is apropriate, but I am concerned and hoping you can provide info. My boyfriend (22 yrs old) has recently been diagnosed with Enlarged Heart with a surrounding virus, diagnosed appox 2 weeks ago. He is taking Furosemide, Digoxin, Diuretic and on special diet. They say it is functioning at 60%. He is (or was prior to diagnosis) very active, in fantastic physical shape, non smoker, semi heavy drinking for past 3-4 months prior to diagnosis.

My question is , is it unsafe for sexual activity, whether it is masturbation or intercourse? I fear that it is too dangerous for his heart to work so hard. Is it best to wait ?

Thank you in advance.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Meshell,

Your boyfriend has more than an enlarged heart if he is on that medication. He is being treated for heart failure. Any physical activity causing a rise in pulse rate will place strain on the heart, and will not be good.

Give his heart a chance to recover, then you can resume your normal activities.

HeartDoc