Question
Posted by: sharn | 2005/11/28

concerned

Hey there diet doc
am still recovering from an eating disorder although i'm going backwards at the moment.One of the issues I am faced with every day is I can't stand the thought of Carbs.What do carbohydrates provide your body with and can you do without them your entire life?

Dear Sharn
If you are slipping back into the trap of an eating disorder, Please go back to your support team (hopefully a clinical psychologist and a dietitian?) and tell them what is happening. I don't want you to regress to the point where you are back to square one. Go for help before it is too late again. Carbohydrates are the most important readily available fuel for the human body. You need this fuel to keep all your body processes going and to have enough energy to move around and exercise (if you have the strength for this). Carbohydrates have a low energy content esp if they are unrefined or unsifted or wholegrain carbs (i.e. 4 cal per gram or less, while fat contains 9 cal per gram). It is not a good idea to cut out all carbs for the rest of your life because this would put you in a permanent ketotic state which is highly harmful in the long-term. Carb foods are also rich in B vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre (the latter ensures normal bowel movements). So go back to your support team ASAP and don't think of cutting out carbs for the rest of your life.
Take great care