Question
Posted by: greg | 2004/03/07

concerned

I have two 3 month old pups who have mange.My freind told me to dip them in car oil as this has cured his pups.Is this safe?Also ,is my newborn child safe around these dogs?

No!! Car oil can kill! Please do not do this. Obtain the correct treatment from your veterinarian, or the SPCA. It must be used at the correct strength and intervals for safety. Treat them first before allowing your newborn child with them, as mange is potentially transmissible. Once they have been successfully treated, it will be safe again. Although demodectic mange seldom cross to people, it is not impossible and there's no need to take any chances.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/03/07

i realy dont think car oil is a brilliant idea ... rather take them to the vet for proper treatment.

All children should be supervised around dogs especialy puppies ....a 3 month old puppy is clueless as far as manners etc is concerned .....they may think a newborn is a new toy ....

get your pups healthy and then teach them how to be gentle around a new baby .....be patient , a puppy of that age doesnt know much more than the newborn

Reply to Carol