Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2004/12/14

Concern over residual discomfort after severe stomach bug

Last Sunday(5th Dec) I had a severe stomach bug. I experienced three bouts of bad vommiting, uncontrolled diarhea (for over twelve hours), fever, severe body aches, and my throat was so raw that I was coughing blood. A doctor came and gave me a Mocsillon (sp?) injection. I was unable to eat for a full twenty four hours. By Friday I was back exercising (I am a fitness freak) but I am still suffering in the following ways (and its been a week) - my throat feels raw, when eat I get the sensation of the food coming back up. I am bloated and my food doesn't seem to be digesting well. I am also not very hungry. My appetite is only slowly coming back. I trained this evening - (I do Muay Thai kickboxing) and my stomach was a little off during the training. My stooles are normal again, though coming quite frequently and smelling bad. I am burping alot. I'm also feel under par on the tiredness front. I think I got the bug swimming at Fish Hoek beach, which has a high E. Coli count, although I didn't have the symptons of E. COli in that the diarrhea was not bloody. The symptons passed completely after twenty four hours, just these residual little niggles are bothering me. Should I be concerned or is this normal? Thanks very much.

Hannah, it might be that the infection hasn’t cleared up yet (E. coli usually needs to be treated with antibiotics) or that something else is the matter. The fact that you started exercising so soon after your illness might also have a role in the fact that it is taking so long to clear up. The easiest would be to have your stools tested to make sure the infection has been eradicated and take it from there. Good luck.