Question
Posted by: Ldp | 2007/04/11

Concern after D&C and Miscarriage

I had a missed miscarriage about 3 weeks ago - the baby was 9 weeks when it died and the doctor picked this up at my 12 week scan. I did not have any signs of a miscarriage.
I had a D&C done the same night and when I went for a check up a week ago , the doctor said that he could still see products of conception in my uterus and prescribed Cytotec for 5 days. I have now finished these pills but still have a slight brown discharge ( very little). Should I go back to the doctor ?
I am also concerned that the doctor did not manage to remove everything in the D&C - how often does this happen ? Maybe I should change doctors?

Please advise ?

I do think that you should have a check-up again. It is quite common for small amounts of products to be left behind, and has nothing to do with the competence of the doctor.

1
Posted by: Sindi | 2007/04/11

Dear Ldp.

I also had a missed misscarriage. Baby also died at 9 weeks, went for a scan at 11 weeks. Dr gave me Cytotec immediately and I went to the hospital the next morning as told by my Dr. Dr did a scan and saw that baby was still inside and told me to come back the next day. Next day they did another scan and the baby was still there. They proceeded with the D&C, just used a slightly thicker tube. I went home not too long afterwards, without anyone telling me what to expect. What is normal, what is concerning, you know, that sort of thing. I bled so heavily for the next 5 days that my fiance eventually rushed me to hospital when I could not stand anymore. The pain was unbareable and I was bleeding very very heavily. I had an emergency D&C, because they too did not get everything out and the mouth of my womb also did not close, due to the fact that there was still something inside.

It seems as thought it is quite easy for them to miss something. You mention that you have a 'slight brown discharge'. That almost sounds normal. I also had that for about a day or so after my second D&C.

If you are concerned, please make a turn by your Dr.

It has been quite a while after my misscarriage, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I still remember how I felt 3 weeks down the line. I hope everything turns out ok.

Take care

Reply to Sindi