Question

Concered about Doxie

Hi Cybervet,

I would please like some advice.

I have two puppies both 9 months old, one male (min pin) and one female (doxie). Over the past 9 months I have struggled to get the min pin’s behaviour correct. When we got him he came from an abused home and my husband and I gave that little bit more attention being abused he was always shaking and had his tail in between his legs and whenever he would wee in the house and we would put him outside he would shake and hide in the bushes. We however at the time understood that we needed to be patient and try and persevere in correcting his behaviour.

After about 6 months, his weeing did not calm down in spite of been neutered. He weed on our bed, on the carpets, on the furniture which has costed us so much money in getting cleaners in to clean the smell up. We housetrained both dogs the same way and my doxie doesn’t mess in the house at all anymore but the min pin still persists to wee in the house and I feel that we can’t live in our house with all our doors closed so that he can’t get into the rooms, he shouldn’t be behaving the way he does anymore. The other morning as I was making the bed I noticed that he weed on the bed again despite the door being open for him to get out.

I have spoken to my Vet and he says that it is behaviour problems and that we must send him to a behaviour specialist but I’m in no position to afford this. My husband and I have been left with no option but to give him away which we have managed to find a home but my concern is how is my doxie going to take it.

For the past month or so the min pin hasn’t been playing with her much, when she wants to play he growls at her so its like she has really been on her own but I just wanted to find out do you think that she will be find by herself, being older?

Thanks for your time.

The Dachshund will probably be fine without the MinPin judging by the response she gets from him. Often an animal that has shared a house with another will become more friendly when the other leaves as they will not have to compete for attention. What your vety says is true. The MinPin will need some professional help with his behavioural problem.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/18

Lots of dogs are fine by themselves, it depends on their individual personalities. You'll just have to see how things go now that she's on her own, and play it by ear.

It's dachshund, by the way.

Reply to Chill