Question
Posted by: Sila | 2008/01/30

Conception date

I menstuated on the 3rd till 7 Dec 07. I am currently 8 weeks preganant and my gynae told me that I conceived on the 13 Dec 07. Is it possible for one to fall pregnant during window period (immediately after menstruations)? I stop using contraceptive in Aug 07 because we wanted a baby and since my menstruations were normal.

Yes, it is possible to fall pregnant soon after menstruation if you ovulate early.

2
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/01/30

Ovulation is usually about 2 weeks after the start of your period, so your conception date is probably around the 15th Dec onwards. But you might have ovulated early that month. A explains it nicely above. You're "technically" only about 6 weeks pregnant, but the way doctors count it you're 8 weeks!

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: A | 2008/01/30

A "conception date" is hard to work out unless you know for sure you only had sex on a specific day during a specific time frame. But even then, it's not for sure as sperm can live for a few days before an egg comes along to fertilise it.

The most trusted method is to count from the first day of your last period. (From this day until a baby is born is approx. 40 weeks)

But ovulation (and therefore conception) is usually approx two weeks AFTER the start of a period, so you're only really pregnant for 38 weeks. Hence the reason it's very tricky to know your exact conception date.

Count from the first day of your last period. That means you are now approx 8.5 weeks pregnant.

Reply to A