Question
Posted by: DESPERATE | 2008/01/21

Conceiving

I am 33 involved (for 5 years now) with a man 17 years my senior. He had a vasectomy 20 years ago. We now want to have a baby... I have had polycystic ovaries and amenorea and am using Yasmin.

What do I do? Step by step instructions on how we go about this will help me greatly.
1Do we go for a vasectomy reversal or do we rather try artificial insemination?
2 Do I go to my gynae first to be tested for fertility??
3 How much does this cost and will my medical aid (Discovery) cover ANY of the costs?
4 What are my chances??

Dear Desperate

Given the facts that there are obvious issues on both sides my advise would be to follow the IVF – ICSI route. Sperm can easily be obtained by a simple testicular aspiration or biopsy and can be frozen for future use. With the polysistic ovaries and ovulatory dysfunction it would be best to proceed to egg retrieval or rather be best to proceed with ovulation induction and retrieval followed by ICSI. It would obviously be sensible to have a fertility specialist coordinating the process from the beginning and if the management is reasonably comprehensive then the chances should be fairly good.

1
Posted by: Lourens | 2008/06/12

Hi Doc,

I need some advice on a vasectomy reversal or alternative procedures.

Please if possible recomend institutions that I could aproach in this regard.

Your help will be greatly apreciated.

Regards,

Lourens Nienaber

Reply to Lourens