Posted by: Lizzie | 2008/08/29

Compulsive licking

Hi there Cybervet.

Our male scottish terrier keeps on licking everything, from his paws to the carpet. It is almost as if his tonque itches. Very annoying. Is this normal?

Dear Lizzie

Would not class this behaviour as totally abnormal depending on age, dental health etc. I bit more info would have been helpfull.

Posted by: Megan | 2008/09/01

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my 18month old female staffie. She' s 100% healthy in every aspect but the licking is driving us crazy. She' ll even lick the car seat when we go for a ride to the park.

Reply to Megan
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/29

This could simply be a compulsive behaviour - see what happens if you give him some other stuff to play with: hooves with a bit of droewors wedged in, stuck down with peanut butter, or a kong with treats or sticky stuff inside. If I' m right, then you need to break this habit or it will only get worse. If despite distractions he continues - then revert to Plan A above!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: George | 2008/08/29

Think about hookworms - the larvae in the environment infect dogs often via the skin, and these larvae when they penetrate are very itchy, and the paws are closest to the larvae. Plese give Cybervet more info to be able to help you.

Reply to George