Question
Posted by: hair puller | 2006/10/30

compulsive hair pulling

Please give advice if you can- I am a compulsive hair puller. Ever since I was young I have pulled my hair out. If I'm not pulling it out, I'm twisting it and snapping it off. I do this both in happy and in sad stressful times. I do not have any other nervous habits.

Question # 1: will my LO learn this habit from me? I am horrified she might and I don't want her to suffer this fate. I try really hard no to touch my hair when I'm around her but I know I do it absent mindedly.

Question # 2: how can I stop this? I hate doing it and there's always hair all over the place. I have in the past cut my hair very short- too short to pull or break but to no avail. Substitute this for another behaviour? I'm considering hypnosis as it's getting too much, I've been doing it for thirty odd years.

Thank you, your advice is appreciated.

Trichitillomania. Very treatable if you'd see a good psychologist, especially one practising CBT. No real reason to expect a child to learn it from you. Hypnosis is NOT the right treatment for this condition, but such bad behaviours respond very well to CBT and beghaviour therapy.

3
Posted by: Trich101 | 2006/11/02

I can't seem to post links and it won't show my email, so try a googlesearch for "Trichotillomania Learning Center". There you will find all the information you need.

Reply to Trich101
Posted by: Trich101 | 2006/11/02

I've been a compulsive hairpuller (trichster) for almost 15 years now. I've tried the diets (Kender), medication and CBT. I haven't had much success. But don't lose hope, different treatments help for different people. I've got a few good sites and a book I can recommend. Send me an email and I'll send you the information.

Reply to Trich101
Posted by: kat | 2006/10/30

i lost my temper once and pulled out a chunk of my hair then i realised i had left a bald spot about the size of a R1 coin, well i felt very sheepish about my infintile behavour and have never done that again.

anyway as for your post i would sugest you go for CBT style counseling i know that is what CS will sugest coz from what he has said it is the one type of theropy that works with habits. Cognative Behavioural Theropy, generaly we start a habit for one reason and carry it on long after that reason is gone for ohter reasons. figure that out and you can retrain the brain to react differently.

Reply to kat