Question
Posted by: anxious | 2007/06/15

COMPRESSION PUMP

CD

I went for physio yest and bumped into my surgeon (his rooms are in the block across from my physio - he was going to the hospital and mentioned that I had been having compression pump treatment at physio but I was under the impression that he wanted me to wait till I saw him in Nov to get the pump to use myself. "No, no" he said the reason I was going in Nov was to upgrade my stocking to Grade III (I am using Grade II at the moment) and the sooner I got one the better. Yea right! I went onto the internet to see who sold them and looked on the Yellow Pages site under medical equipment - found hoards and hoards of them. I eventually found one in Midrand and phoned to ask if they sold compression pumps. Yes she said, and after describing the one my physio uses, she said "oh the one you seem to need is the 5 section one" - I said yes thats the one she uses. "Oh" she said "they are R15 000!" The 3 section ones are R8000 and 5 section ones are R15 000! Can u believe it! They are made in Germany! Big deal! I phoned Discovery and quoted the nappi code she gave me and they said that they would only cover R4500! I will go to my physiotherapist any day! Even if I have to go only for 2 treatments or so a month. She only charges about R90 a session!

About the Paroven, while I was at physio yest I went to my surgeon's rooms, because you got me thinking whether my surgeon had in fact submitted a motiviation letter with my chronic form request to Discovery. It turns out that I completed the wrong form and I have resubmitted the request with the correct form. This will now be forwarded to the medical panel (which the previous request wasn't) which sits on Mons and Weds - I still have my doubts, but its definitely worth a try!

My surgeon has been so busy today, so it seems he will only be able to complete it Mon so it seems I will have to wait for a week or so for a reply!

Enjoy the weekend.

Hi anxious
I am sure they will consider this seriously - they will have to pay out much more than the Paroven price if you get complications because you can't keep the oedema under control!