Posted by: Kay | 2010/05/18


My stbx left us a year ago whilst i was pregnant, i tried to get maintanance (3kids) from him but never showed up for court appearance. we dont have contacts and im broke from all the expences i have to take careof on my own. what is the cheapest and quickest way of getting a divorce in this situation. I cant afford a lawyer but I am working. married (cop) and he hasnt paid bond since he left, the bank cannot do anything about taking his name out since we are joint owners. I still have good contacts with his parents, they dont know where he is also he doesnt take their calls either.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Kay,

His disappearance is concerning. You may want to consider involving the police and filling for missing person. In the meantime nurture the good relationship you have with his parents and see how they can help you with certain expenses for the children etc.
You will need a lawyer as your situation is indeed complicated and you cannot file an uncontested divorce without his signature.
You can contact me for a legal referral.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010/05/27

This type of divorce will not be just a straight forward divorce, you will have to get sworn statements from his parents that they also does not know where he is, you have to place adds in newspapers ect, if he work then it is possible find him.

It is best to stay in a good terms with his parents, but do not be fooled, if they have to choose they will choose their son, in other words they will tell you that he does not answer his phone and make you believe they do not have any contact with him even if they have regular contact.

Reply to G-Dad

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.