Question
Posted by: jean | 2004/11/22

Complex

I would like to find out what a complex is & whether there are different types.
My friend thinks i have a problem regarding myself when i am around people. I become withdrawn.
Kindly let me know on the different aspects regarding this and whether i would need help.

Thanking you in advance, Jean.

Hi Jean,
Actally, the term "complex" is a very old-fashioned one rarely used these days, as the psych vocabulary tends to update itself periodically. It originated back in the early days of psychoanalysis, around the turn of the last century, and generally referred to a recognizeable pattern of psychological problems to which the analysist tied a complex theory about how it arose (and almost evry one of their theories have since proved to be wrong !).
Now, that said, you're absolutely right that one rather common pattern by which people can feel uncomfortable, is one in which they feel a lack of confidence in themselves in settings involving other people, when they might feel they could come under scrutiny or evaluation, when they're, frankly, shy, maybe to an excess.
This might today be called something like a Social Anxiety Disorder. Such problems generally respond very well indeed to treatment. There are medications that can help to reduce the unpleasant feelings, and also psychological forms of counselling like CBT, which can help one revise one's views of oneself and ones relations with other people, and feel more comfortable and confident. Best of all, perhaps, one could combine these two forms of intervention. It'd be worth your while to see a good local shrink, psychiatrist or psychologist, for a full assessment, and discussion of your treatment options.