Question
Posted by: sandy | 2008/01/29

Complete tear of ACL

Last year whle playing fottball, i fell down and injured my knee. which was healed at that time but i continue feeling knee locking and sudden pains while getting up or while climbing stairs etc. Recently i checked my self with a doc and they took my MRI of Knee. Accordingly to report I have
1. mild medical sublaxation of femur on tibia,
2. type VI tear in poterior horn of lateral meniscus,
3. medical meniscus is unremarkable,
4. complete tear of the ACL,
5. PCL is kinkened. It is an indirect sign of ACL tear,
6. No evidence of bone bruising,
7. No joint effusion,
8. Articular cartiage appear normal,
9. Medical and lateral/ collateral ligaments appera normal

Now, one doc has recommended me exercises by physiotherapy and some have asked for the surgery. Now i am totally confused as one doc says surgery may make some everlasting defects in knee.
Kindly do give me ADVICE AND SUGGESTION. wHAT IS BETTER FOR ME IN THIS CONDITION.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sandy
Most people would opt for the more conservative route (physio/exercise) to first see whether this would help. If you still have pain and discomfort after a while, you can consider surgery, but that is only my opinion. An orthopaedic surgeon who specialised in knee surgery would obviously know better, but remember that you as the patient have the last say. You should therefore make an informed decision weighing up all the pros and cons and discuss this with your doctor.

1
Posted by: B | 2008/06/19

Hi I wonder if you can help me.
I'm a 21 year old male who enjoys a huge range of sporting activities. I'v just tried comrades and only got half way due to unbareable knee pain. This is not a problem when I am playing squash, rugby, hockey, water skiing or golf but comes in after a run thats longer than 14km. The problem started 2 months before comrades and i was unable to even climb a flight of stairs after a 10km run

To describe the pain it elongated down the outside of my right knee and when i have the p[ain i'm unable to bend my knee correctly or place weight on it.
CAn you help me i'v herd all sorts of rumors that its either runners beginners knee and goes away after a few seasons, my one leg is shorter than the other or its tendonds ?

Can you help ?
B

Reply to B