Question
Posted by: john | 2007/12/05

complete evacuation of the bowels

I am aiming to completely evacuate my bowels. I plan to use castor oil. My questions are:

1) What would be the correct dose? I normally used to take 100 ml. But I read a posting on your site about a girl who was given 120 ml by her mother and she says her stomach went completely flat. Another posting on the interenet by a young woman says she took 175 ml in one night and by morning her entire alimentary canal was completely empty. If I want a complete evacuation, really complete should I go for a higher dose than the 100 ml I usually take? I read on the internet that excess amount just passes through unabsorbed. Would it be more effective if I take 100 ml as usual and follow it up with another 50 ml after the effect of the first dose seems to wear off?

2) Many sites mention that one has to take sufficient fluids to guard against dehydration. Is water OK for this, and how much?

Dear John
Casteroil is not a good medication to use to empty your bowels - anyway the normal dose is 10 mls not 100 mls. You can overdose on castor oil causing fainting, kidney damage, abdominal cramps, dizziness and hallucinations.

If you really want to detox, do the following: ( do over 2 days and dosages indicated here are for average >60kg adult)
EITHER:
2 teaspoons of Epsom salts at 22h00
next day - only clear fluids like apple juice, tea, grapejuice and again 2 teaspoon Epsom salts at 17h00
Next morning put in a Dulcolax suppository - then eat normally

OR
ask your chemist for something like Movicol or Golytely or xprep to use

The problem with the castor oil is that it leaves an oily residue that impair vitamin absorbtion in the bowel and is toxic in high dosages.