Question
Posted by: Angry | 2007/07/25

Complaint against psychiatrist

CS, while I was in hospital a few months ago for a depressive episode (my first time), my psychiatrist who was originally assigned to me went on holiday and I was consulted by a different psychiatrist. Anyway, the second psychiatrist said soem very hurtful and disrespectful things to me and I reported him to the HPCSA. I have since resumed seeing the original psychiatrist. The psychiatrist who I lodged the complaint against was recently given some inforation by my current psychiatrist and this was mentioned in the response that he sent to the HPCSA in reply to my complaint. Is this not a breach of confidentiality?? The things that he mentions in his letter have nothing to do with my original complaint, and besides the fact that he blew it out of proportion I do not feel that he should have been given that inforation in the first place.

Are psychiatrists allowed to "stick" together and share information about patients between themselves?

It does indeed sound like a breach of confidentiality. Your regular shrink might feel he would have to provide any relevant information to the HPCSA if asked by them, but giving extra information about you to the other shrink knowing that you had made a complaint about that doc, sounds irregular and unwise. If not relevant to the specific issue of the original complaint you made, one wonders why he would have disclosed such information. Had he shared whatever information this is, BEFORE your complaint and BEFORE the other doc was going to take over your care while shrink 1 was away, that would sound much more justifiable.
Neither psychiatrists nor doctors ought to "stick together" excessively and to the detriment of their patients, but in all lines of work such things do happen

1
Posted by: anon | 2007/07/25

Guess thats the difference about medicine in SA as in USA where Drs are sued left right and centre. Here they do tend to support each other.

They were obviously colleagues and when yours was away he had appointed the other one as his locum. He would obviously have had a closer working relationship with him.

Nevertheless, address all your complaints and grievances and code of conduct/misconduct with the HPCSA and see what they say.

Reply to anon