Question
Posted by: Minky | 2004/11/09

Comparisons

Is it rite for bosses to compare u with your colleaguess? Keeps on saying as compared to the others u are not cutting it, u r worst and mention other's names to say their performance is far better than mine that im not delivering? Is it normal for bosses to say that? And is this constructive or is just trying to put me down? How do i get up and carry on with my job after this? I do my work properly and put in a lot of effort and unpaid overtime but this is depressing and de motivating, How do i go about resolving this. Its been going on for quite a while now i cant take it anymore. Pls help all i get is negative feedback and criticism from this woman.

It's allowed, but usually not wise at all. Is he possibly justified in any way in suggesting that there are ways in which your performance is not matching up to others, and should improve ? As I understand the law, he is duty bound, if he identifies anything significant lacking in your performance, not to merely complain, but to make helpful suggestions about improving it, including providing further training to enable you to improve your performance. Purely negative criticism is improper and useless.
Why not check with your HR Dept and or the Dept of Labour, for advice on this ?

2
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/10

Hi Minky,

Yes I agree with G. It is not really fair of your boss to compare you to others & de-motivate you as a result. It is much better & I would also add, more professional if your boss were to compare your "performance" to "set standards", not his assumptions of who you should be like.
If at all possible, try to find out if there are set standard outputs for the job you are doing, & compare your output to this set standard. Also, via HR, insist that your boss stick to these set standards!!!

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: G | 2004/11/10

Minky your boss is an idiot he is succeeding in destroying or already has your self image the fact that he compares you to others means he has no set point for what his staff responsibilities must be do you have a job model or description telling you what your responsibilities are supposed to be I believe he is infringing on your basic rights of employment there are acts to prevent people taking this attitude plus he needs to not break you down but offer you courses to improve yourself I would take him on and if he believes he is right take it to the next level if there is one if not well the easy way for you to find a alternative job which is what he seems to be trying to achieve in my opinion, talk to the dept of labour if need be first of all you are wrong by working unpaid overtime yes the job must be done but that is why there are normal working hours and you do not have to work any hours unless negotiated it is again your choice.

Reply to G