Question
Posted by: Nelly | 2007/05/08

Company debt

Hi, I worked for an Insurance company a financial advisor. We earned only by commission but would get a monthly advance( R80 000) broken up into 12 months for the first year of employment at this company. Some months would be tough and I would make to commission and only get to take home the R6 000 advance. I have left the company a month ago and now they are demanding R50 000 from me for the monthly advance they have been paying me, they say if I dont pay it soon they will list me on ITC as bad payer and I would be black listed. The thing is, I have brought in so much business for that company, even now that Im not there all the clients I recruited are still paying monthly premiums. To me it seems like I just worked for this company for no pay, seeing as they want me to pay them back all the monthly money they gave me- seems like we were caught up in a loan which we were not even aware of. Pls Advise, thanks

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Dear Nelly

The earning of commission is an acceptable practice. It is also acceptable to pay certain commissions in advance. If you don't make the target, they have the right to claim the monies back. Unfortunately, that is the harsh reality.

MICHAEL BAGRAIM