Question
Posted by: Catriona | 2004/11/10

communication

I deal with a lot of teenagers and would like to know how to communicate better with them, about serious issues like drugs and the not-so serious ones, like bonding about their lives. I know that when children become teens they become more private about their lives, so what are some tips of how to communicate effectively?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Catriona

what type of work do you do with teenagers, as this will have a bearing on how to communicate effectively? Above all be yourself - a teenager will spot a fake at a million paces!! It is also very important to be a good listener. Many teenagers complain that adults talk at them, and this is unfortunately too ofetn the case.

Teenagers do become more private but this is a normal part of development. No-one has a right to try and crow-bar their way into their thoughts and feelings!

There are many courses available on working with young people at various colleges and universities, but as I say it depends on the kind of work you do