Question
Posted by: Cautious Sam | 2007/02/25

Common Cold,antibiotics & training

I am currently training for the Argus tour (2weeks away), but picked up a nagging cold 2 weeks ago.Its a mild snotty nose,minimum phlem and a slight tightness on my chest.I went to a dr to have it checked out and he prescribed me taking 3 antibiotics. I'm not keen on using them, so I would like to know..Does taking anitbiotics weaken one's heart muscles, can I train while using them or should I be resting?

Dear Cautious Sam
If you have fever, sore muscles and a faster heartbeat than normal and feel very tired when exercising you should rather rest. If everything is just in the nose, you need not stop exercising. If the phlegm is watery and clear, you probably do not need antibiotics as this will be signs of viral infection. If you have thick yellow to green phlegm you may need antibiotics to clear this before the Argus. He probably gave you Flagyl plus a wide spectrum antibiotic which works well for sinusitis.