Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/09/30

Comments about being overworked raised by Tired, Always Tired

The note posted by Tired could have been posted here. I have posted similar notes here (under a different name). May b Tired and I work for the same comany. I just thought I'd give my input to the solutions offered.

You see the employment contract says you work 9-5 but it is the culture of the company that these hours are an exception rather than the rule. Somehow you are made to feel that you HAVE to work overtime. I don't see how can just leave at 5:30 after the manager has just listed 10 things that must be ready by tomorrow 8am where there will bea status meetingwith 10 other people. This is a clear message that you have to work overtime.

Senior management has made it clear ,verbally, that no one can force anyone to work overtime. Yes one is not forced but the request is implied very strongly. One is also made to understand the implications of not having things ready by a certain time.

So my opinion is Dept of Labour can't really do much because the company policies are right just the managers have a way of making people work overtime anyway.

My solution: I have spoken to senior people in the company and one said long hours are a given in the nature of my work so I must move streams ( probably start at the bottom again) if I'm not happy. He also said I can mention right at the beginning of a project that I won't work late and be strict about it. He agreed that I might be penalised for this during performance reviews or promotion evaluation period. So I'm currently looking for alterative employment.

Blue, you raise a very important point about ways in which some companies frankly subvert the requirements of the law, and they'd probably say that everyone was simply choosing voluntarily and hapilly, to work longer hours.
And of course your senior management is being deliberately naive. Yes, they don't stand there with a gun to your head or armed guards at the doors to force you to work longer --- but if you fear being sacked, or losing promotions or raises if you DON'T work longer hours, that IS forcing you to do so. The managers ought in contrast to set an example and encourage people NOT to work excessive overtime. And performance reviews should be regulation to consider solely what people do within their normal working hours, and ignore whether overtime is worked or not.

1
Posted by: Mona | 2004/09/30

Well after you had your meeting the next day at 8am, pack your bag and say, thanx i'll see you tomorrow, taking my overtime now... Or do you fill in timesheets? If so, fill in your overtime, and ask your Payroll person when you will be paid for it.

Reply to Mona