Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2007/07/23

coming off medication

What is the best way of coming off antidepressants? I was on Venlor XR 225mg and each month I am coming down 37.5mg. Is this the best way for not having withdrawal symptoms and also for not going back to how things were before treatment? I have been having CBT with a psychologist, so will continue to put this behaviour into practice. I dont want to see my psychiatrist again, as a consultation is R600.00. I have enough repeats of the medication to come off slowly. Please advice. Thanks.

Now I find your message, after receiving all the frantic later postings about it. FOr pete's sake, guys, when you have specific problems with or questions about the drug prescribed by your doc, call the doc if you want a very urgent response --- he's been paid to answer all such questions --- and a R 600 a consuiltation, he should have discussed all the details of his plan for your coming off the drug with you last time you saw him, AND should accept a phone-call if there's a detail you forgot to ask him at the time. CBT is a great idea, and the plan for gradually coming off the Venlor sounds reasonable and should be suitable for most people.