Question
Posted by: JANE | 2008/01/23

COLOSTOMY, BLOCKAGE, HERNIA, STENT, ETC.

Hi Dr Bets,
Well I had 2x hernias and major muscle reconstruction done in early December last year and all seems fine. I was told to leave the colonic stent in (for peace of mind) and have it taken out in January. Well January 10th comes and in I go. Am taking into theatre, no sedative, no local anasthetic, nothing and up goes the scope. Anyway, after about an hour of pure hell, he tells me that the colon beneath the stent has narrowed and I would have to have another 2x stents put in, but my surgeon would have to be present, in case my bowels get "nicked".. He said he would phone me on Monday (14th), I waited and waited and finally phoned him on Monday (21st) and he said he was still sorting things out. He said he would have me done this week and that he would phone me on Tuesday with date and time. Still nothing.
What really concerns me:

1. What will happen if they cannot remove this stent.?
2. Is it doing damage up there (it was supposed to remain for 2 months and is going on for 4)?
3. If he 'nicks' my bowels would I need to be operated on again.?
4. Will I ever ever get a normal life back again.?

Once again, thank you for your time and invaluable advice.
Jane.

Your reply:
Dear Jane
1. They can usually leave a stent in for quite a while, should not be a problem.
2. It won’t cause any damage – it just keeps the area open.
3. YES if he “nicks” the bowel it is major surgery as the bowel content can leak into the abdominal cavity and can cause severe infection. Tell him no “nicking” allowed ;-)
4. Just hang in there, sometimes these things take a while to get better.
Your GE doesn’t sound like a very sympathetic person to me?? Why didn’t he give you anaesthetic?