Question
Posted by: CC002 | 2007/07/17

Colon Problems

Hi Doc - I just have a question? If i suffer from Spastic Colon - IBS - What would be the best food to eat to help me to pass stools. And that wont irritate my colon to much..? Thanks Doc

Dear CCOO2
Generally speaking foods that have a high content of so-called insoluble dietary fibre (all-bran, high-bran or unprocessed wheat products and other sources of high fibre), will promote bowel regularity). Try using 1-2 tablespoons of wheat bran with your breakfast cereal to see if this will help with the IBS. Cooked, dried fruit is also useful - you could have 2-3 T of boiled prunes with your breakfast. But you will have to test if these foods irritate your colon or not. Patients with IBS often react differently to certain foods - some may irritate you, others not. To read more about the latest research on IBS, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with 'IBS' to find the article I wrote this year "NEW LIGHT SHED ON IBS ". Then also click on You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy GI Tract' section. The use of probiotics ('good microorganisms') can be very beneficial. Buy a probiotic called LP299V and use it to regulate your colon.

1
Posted by: Kay | 2007/07/17

I also have IBS and I find that eating oats each morning helps, certain fruits like apples, and I taking Flaxseed Oil Capsules 3 times a day. But they say different things work for different people.

Reply to Kay