Question
Posted by: Worried | 2003/03/17

Colon Cancer

During last week I have sort of a running tummy. The stools were not loose but very difficult to come out and it only occured at night about 3 times per night. That was from Tuesday to Friday. When I went to the loo mostly wind/gas came out. On Saturday my stomach did not work and on Sunday my stomach worked twice but I notice some blood the one time when I wiped. As I am normally regular each morning this Monday morning my stomach worked like normal and there was no blood. I read that when there is a change to bowel movements, blood in stools and loss of weight that it could be a sign of colon cancer. I am a lupus (SLE) suffered and my doctor has done numerous blood tests i.e thyroid, diabetes, etc to see why I am not picking up weight. I am being 48km since school days (15years) and yet I eat a great deal. Last year June I suffered with a lot of "ulcer pains" and I recommended to see a surgeon who done a test whereby they put the pipe down your throat right down to your stomach and nothing sinister was detected and was given Pariet medication which has helped. I also did about 2 months ago a sonar test to check for gall stones and all was fine. Could there be a possibly of colon cancer and what type of specialist should I see for this disease?

Thanks for your assistance.

Worried, I suppose it’s possible that your symptoms are due to colon cancer, but it’s more likely to be due haemorrhoids and a stomach bug. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.