Question
Posted by: cas | 2004/11/04

colon

Good day Doctor

Would you please help. My dad he is 79 years of age for the past year he has been having problems with his colon. Would you be able to tell me what type of foods can he eat and what he must stay away from. Thank you for your help.

Cas

Dear Cas
I am not sure what problems you refer to? Winds, pain, etc or pathology? I would suggest that your dear Dad has a medical checkup so that we can get a diagnosis, so that I can figure out what problem we are dealing with. If he is suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), then two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase his dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If he suffers from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods he eats that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary for him to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. His doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to his doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that he should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.