Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2004/03/04

Collar to prevent barking

Our neighbours have been complaining about our Jack Russell's barking.

Where can i buy the special dog collar which sprays citronella oil everytime a dog barks?

I have seen multiple sites on the Internet where it is sold, and if I remember correctly, it was also mentioned recently on this forum. If you searched the archives or just look during the past couple of weeks, I believe there was a posting about this subject.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Liezel | 2004/03/10

Sara/Carol

The problem is that he is barking during the day when nobody is at home. He's got a boerboel and some toys to keep him company during the day. I explained to the neighbour that it is his nature to be protective and that as far as I know he will only bark when he is alarmed. Unfortunately this explanation doesn't satisfy the neighbour.
Before we have to do somthing drastic I'll rather test the color. I can't see how citronella oil can torture him.
However if you know of anything else that can of help I will realy appreciate it.

Reply to Liezel
Posted by: carol | 2004/03/05

A jack russel terrier if unstimulated , bored and lonely can not only be noisy , he will also chew everything in sight and become quite destructive.

Let him sleep in the house at night , and play with him during the day ... keeping him outside is only going to cause a problem and u will confuse him because all he knows how to protect and guard is your yard.. let him be a house russel , and he will protect u too and be a happy loyal family member

Reply to carol
Posted by: Sara | 2004/03/05

Dogs dont just bark for no reason!

ur lil jack russel is probably scared , lonley or bored. Before u go out and buy an instrument of torture first try and find out what is making ur dog so restless. maybe u should consider allowing him/her to sleep inside the house at night or inside the garage. Just make sure he has plenty of water im sure u'll find that the horrible collar will not be needed

Reply to Sara