Question
Posted by: flex | 2007/03/20

collar bone

hi there,
i broke my collar bone almost 2 months ago.i can still not lift heavy weights and it hurts if i move too fast or try lift my arm too far over my shoulder.is it normal to still be experiencing these sensations?

Expert ImageArchive

A broken collar bone (Clavicle fracture) should heal completely within 12 weeks, although the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Most patients will have immediate pain after falling or being hit on the collarbone, an inability to raise the affected arm because of pain and have a grinding feeling when trying to lift the affected arm. These sensations of pain are likely due to atrophy of your muscles as a result of disuse/deactivation (due to pain you were experiencing). They could also be due to altered biomechanics of the shoulder, a possible consequence of the break. I would advise that you first get it cleared by a doctor/radiologist that the break has healed. Then you should see either a physiotherapist or biokineticist, as you will need to address issues such as shoulder and scapula stability, the muscle atrophy and lastly an assessment of your thoracic posture that may have altered as a result of protecting the injury.

All the best for your recovery!