Question
Posted by: anon | 2004/11/10

coldsores & mouth ulcers

1. what causes coldsores? what ointment can be taken and what tablets or foods can be eaten to speed up the healing process? how long does it take to heal?

2. what causes mouth ulcers? what can be used to heal it and how long does it take? snce i have a mouth ulcer (small one on my tongue) i have two glands sticking out under my chin.

please help?

Dear Anon
It is important to have a medical checkup with your gp as cold sores are usually caused by a virus called Herpes simplex. Your mouth ulcer could also be of similar origin. The dr will prescribe an antiviral medication and/or cream which you can apply to the sores such as Activir. So do see your dr ASAP. Stress plays an important role in herpes infections and you need to ask the dr what you can do to control stress. You can try taking a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte to build-up your nervous system so that you do not react to stress so easily.
Hope you soon feel better