Question
Posted by: Louise | 2011/04/12

Coldsores

Why does one get cold sores? Is it something in my blood? I live a reasonably healthy life, but I get coldsores all the time since I was little. My dad also gets it a lot. What causes this? Is there something I can do to prevent it? I sometimes get 3 at a time.

Thank you for all your help.
Louise

Hallo Louise
Cold sores or fever blisters are caused by Herpes simplex virus, and once infected, the virus stays dormant in the nerve and breaks out when triggered by sunburn, when you get infections or are stressed. Taking a course of antiviral medication within 24 hours of a cold sore appearing may help get rid of it. Sometimes more than one course of antivirals is needed.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/12

Hallo Louise