Question
Posted by: Mel D | 2007/07/10

Cold symptoms??

For the past week or more I have been getting cold symptoms but only at sunset! It begins by having a lump in my throat which is painful when I swallow, becomes almost unbearable as the night settles in, then it's a blocked nose (I do suffer from sinusitis), then I will start salivating a lot forcing me to swallow frequently which is painful as the throat has a lump or growth. One night I had sleep in a semi upright position as the salivating was beginning to choke me when I dose off.The past few days I've been taking paracetamol way before I go too sleep to ease the symptoms. By morning all these symptoms dissappear and during the day I'm fine. I do take Viral Choice every odd day to boost my immune system. Do I need to take this to a GP. What maybe the cause of this and why only at night not during the day?

Dear Mel D
this may be an allergy causing a post nasal drip - and maybe the cause is in or near your house - like smoke, animals, grass, housemites, moulds etc. Try taking a Loratidine tablet at night and using Drixine nose spray for a few days - but if it still happens ask your GP to consider Beconase aqeuous longterm?