Question
Posted by: anon | 2004/11/10

cold sores & mouth ulcers

1. what causes cold sores and how can it be treated? what vitamins can be taken or what ointment can be used to speed up the healing process? how long does it take to heal?

2. what causes mouth ulcers and how can it be treated? what can be taken to speed up the healing process? since i have a mouth ulcer (small one on my tongue) i have to small glands sticking out under my chin.

Please hel!!!!!!

Expert ImagePharmacist

The cause for mouth ulcers is unknown, though it is believed to be some sort of immune mediated condition (you often get it when your body in "run down" or due to dietary deficiencyand most often a lack of Vitamin B.) At this time it seems asif is not caused by any infectious agent (viruses or bacteria) and these ulcers are not contagious.
Treatment is mainly symptomatic with something like dynexin ointment. You may also try an oral rinse such as betadine.

Coldsores are caused by the Herpes Virus. Most people have been exposed to this virus, but only a small percentage suffer from the recurrent outbreaks. It may be triggered by trauma, sunburn, stress, illness, cold weather, and the like. Because this is caused by a virus an antiviral cream such as Acitop, Activir, etc. may prove effective. It is important to start using this in the early (tinglig) phase to get optimal results. Tea trea oil may also prove effective.

2
Posted by: Owethu | 2015/07/07

I have used acitop and it help me within 2dy my mouth was right

Reply to Owethu
Posted by: lindiwe | 2015/04/07

my grandmother have red lip and. it painful... she is using acitop but it seems like it not working... what must she do to have a normal mouth again

Reply to lindiwe