Question
Posted by: ALVIN | 2005/12/13

cold sores / fever blisters

I have a cold sore on my upper lip
What is the best course of action for treatment
What can be done to prevention in future

Dear Alvin,
It is caused by the Herpes virus. If it is the first time, you can use something like spirits of campher to dry it and use acyclovir cream to kill the virus. If it comes back repeatedly you'll have to get a prescription from a doctor for a antiviral tablet to take.

2
Posted by: M | 2005/12/13

I have suffered from Cold Sores since I was a small child and they have been the baine of my life. I have tried every cream and remedy there is - I have even tried very expensive tablets but nothing works like Spirits of Camphor. You get it at most pharmacies and you just put a little onto the sore/s. Activir also works quite well cos it numbs it which is good cos they can be very painful. Also, the golden rule is not to touch it unneseccarily and to wash your hands well if you do touch it otherwise you re-infect yourself.

Reply to M
Posted by: Annelize | 2005/12/13

Hi there. I've got that very same problem. At this very moment I'm sitting with one on my upperlip aswell. I've used a few diffrent treatments before but I find the best treatment was either Vicks or Dettol-cream (for insect bites and ...). Or you can either rub a piece of lemon on the sore - it burns a bit but the vitamin C is very good or you can also use a Vitamin C suppliment to speed up the healing process and to boost your immune system. Good luck and hope it works!!

Reply to Annelize