Question
Posted by: Tan | 2004/11/22

Cold sore or allergy?

Dear Cyber doc
I've never ever had a cold sore in my life! I'm 22 years old and last weekend I saw a teeny tiny little pimple on my lip *not at the corners, not on the lip lining, on the lip in the middle of nowhere!*
Anyway I squeezed it but nothing happened and then it got itchy and then swelled and made a blister. I know i should have just left it but now everyone says it's a cold sore. I also read in a book that cold sores come from the herpes simplex virus? Does this mean I'm now a herpes carrier?
Anyway I hope you can help me, I have been told that it's stress related (or at least stress contributes to it) I have been through a very very stressful last 6 months with numerous tragedies.

Please give me your honest opinion - this little guy looks like he's drying up after 2 days.
Let me know what you think
Thanks Tan

Tan, it sounds like a normal fever blister from this side of the screen. It is caused by a herpes virus but not the same one as the one that causes genital herpes. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) in 95% of cases (the other 5% is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)). HSV-1 usually causes fever blisters on the lips. As a matter of interest – there are at least 7 types of herpes viruses. Type 3 causes chickenpox and shingles, type 4 causes glandular fever, type 5 is cytomegalo virus and they’re not exactly sure what diseases are caused by type 6 and 7.
You don’t have to worry about it as it isn’t dangerous and next time it feels like it is coming out again, get something like Zovirax® ointment from your pharmacy. Good luck.