Question
Posted by: Tony | 2002/12/07

coke&smoke

I'm very fussy about my weight, eat right, go to gim 3 times a week, and the rest of the week I jog...but I love coke. I drink 1 glass a day, but i'ts nou holiday, and now I know, it will be much more. Is it realy bad for me?
And then. I'm a Prof. singer. I start smoking, but not muh. Maybe one smoke a day. Can it harm: voice and for health?
look forward to hear from you.
Tony

Dear Tony
Drinking cold drinks is associated with a relatively high energy intake which in countries such as the USA is increasingly being linked to obesity. I don't think that the one glass a day will make much difference, but try and control how much you do drink over the holidays, as excessive ingestion of cold drink coupled to the eating that goes on over Christmas, can make you gain weight.
You know full well that smoking is not good for your voice and here again there is the great danger that the 1 cigarette will increase to 5, 10, 20 and who knows how many which will be detrimental to your voice and health, so rather kick the habit while it is still possible.
Take care