Question
Posted by: Blue | 2004/09/27

Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy

Do you know who practises this around JHB. Do you have a rough estimate of ho much it would cost?

I can't really talk about things anymore ( this is strange because before I felt I talked about my feelings a little too much). At some point I felt talking doesn't help much and there is just too much going on. Do you thing CBT would still work for me.

Hi Blue,
CBT ought to cost no more than any other form of psychotherapy and in the end to be cheaper in that it is so focussed and organized that it need not take very long, unlike obsolete forms like psychoanalysis which can last forever. And there seems to have been a reduction of controls on how much gets charged for specialist sessions, so the costs can be higher or lower than previously.
I don't recommend specific shrinks on this site. I wish there was a simple way to find which shrinks practise CBT ( and do it properly ) but I haven't found it yet. Sometimes CBT is useful in that it doesn't focus so exclusively on "feelings" but on probl;ems, issues, the conclusions you have chosen to draw from events, problem-solving, and so on.

1
Posted by: DC | 2004/09/27

Hi Blue
Someone once mentioned a site:www(dot)cognitivebehaviourtherapy(dot)org.
Why not try it out and see if CBT will in actual fact work for you.Otherwise, check out the archives where CS has explained how it works.

Good luck.

Reply to DC