Question
Posted by: C | 2005/12/01

Coffee/tea with meals

Dear DietDoc,
Is it true that having coffee or tea with meals inhibits the absorption of nutrients? If so, is it the caffeien in these drinks that causes the problem, since I only drink decaf coffee? I just love to end my meals with a cup of coffee or tea, so how huge will the impact of this habit be on my overall health? Thankyou!

Dear C
The tannins in these beverages, particularly in tea, can combine with minerals like iron and calcium to make them less biologically available. So it is not the caffeine, but other compounds that are the problem. However, after eating a balanced, mixed meal drinking decaff coffee or tea should not cause too much of a problem.
Enjoy