Question
Posted by: M&M | 2004/10/25

Coffee + Tea Addict

Good day,
I drink a lot of tea and coffee during the day with 3-4 teaspoons of sugar and lots of full cream milk. I would really like to stop drinking coffee and tea, but it is difficult. What can I drink in its place? I have tried water, but it does not help - I crave the sweet coffee and tea. Since I have started this habbit 2 years ago I have picked up a lot of weight.

Dear M&M
Do this gradually. First change over to fat-free milk until you are used to it. Then reduce the amount of sugar you are adding, first 3 t, then 2,5 t, then 2t, etc, until you are down to zero. You can also try using an artificial sweetener to sweeten your beverages. Once you are drinking coffee or tea with fat-free milk and no sugar, you can gradually reduce your intake of caffeine in the same gradual fashion until you are down to about 4 cups a day which is regarded as non-harmful. You should start losing weight which you accelerate by doing regular exercise such as brisk walking for 30 min a day.