Question
Posted by: Abc | 2007/08/06

Coffee

Hi!
I would like to know if I'm taking too much coffee. I take 2/3 tea spoons every morning. Is that too much? I'm 22 years old and I'm thin. Besides, I have heart murmur and I'm a nervous person. Coffee calms me down, though.

Dear Abc
Healthy adults can have 3-4 cups of coffee a day. I find it amazing that the coffee you have calms you down because caffeine in coffee is a stimulant and can excitation of the nervous system, palpitations, and insomnia, etc. Please discuss the use of caffeinated coffee with the dr who is treating your heart murmur. You may be better off changing to decaffeinated coffee and rooibos tea.