Question
Posted by: NAT | 2004/11/13

COD LIVER OIL

Hello,
I would like to know if I should give Cod liver Oil (it's organic, made specifically for kids with tutti frutti flavour by "Eskimo kids") to my 2 years old child on a regular basis? What is your opinion on taking "Udo's choice oil blend" on a regular basis by adults. Can pregnant ladies and children take it? Is it better taking cod liver oil rather than plan Udo's oil blend?

Dear Nat
You can give cod liver oil to children and adults can also take it, BUT because it is the richest source of vitamins A and D known to us, and these 2 fat-soluble vitamins get stored in the body, so that excessive intakes can cause a host of negative symptoms, I would advise that you only give your child the cod liver oil 3 times a week. The same applies to adults as you will be getting plenty of vit A from your diet and you will also be manufacturing vit D whenever your skin is exposed to sunlight. Because of the dangers of hypervitaminosis, I would NOT recommend this supplement to pregnant women.
I am not acquainted with the plain Udo's oil blend, so cannot comment.