Posted by: Bees Knees | 2008/10/06

Cocaine: addicted?

Hi there all,

I am just wondering: I know a dear friend that uses cocaine every weekend. Can she be considered as addicted?

(she says that she will slow down after December as it is the silly season now, but this has been going on for months).

I am not sure what to think as she doesn' t use it on a Friday AND Saturday, but she will use every weekend on a Friday OR Saturday.

Thank you.

Can't answer without more details. Sounds like using it has become a habit with her, but more perhaps of a dependency than strictly an addiction. I'm not sure I udnerstand why she feels compelled to make the silly season even sillier. You'll find a shrink's criteria about whether someone deserves treatment are more related to such issues as : "DOes using the substance cause her heal;th or social, relationship problems ?

Posted by: samantha | 2008/10/06

The usage on just 1 day in the weekend means that she needs enough time to recover. This in turn becomes a vicious cycle which will eventually result in addiction. Cocaine is also not the cheapest of drugs...You should encourage your friend not to use as life is so enjoyable without drugs!

Reply to samantha