Posted by: AER68 | 2008/07/26

clues to fertility after 40?

I am wondering if on-going fertility at 39 suggests a chance for decent fertility into the 40' s. I had my first baby the second time we tried at 39. (First time we tried had a miscarriage - monosomy x and apparently not age-related...then became pregnant again next cycle and had healthy boy.) That' s two times trying, two times pregnant, boom. We don' t want to " try"  again for a few years until I am late 42 or 43 or this crazy to wait so long? I would get my FSH tested or something but am breastfeeding and can' t take the hormones. Apologies as this is probably an unusual question! Fertility tends to run in my family, also the child-bearing hips, the whole shebang...Thanks

Dear AER68

It is an unusual question and I would try and answer it to the best of my ability. The fact that you fell pregnant so quickly the first and the second time does not mean that trying at a later stage in your life is going to be just as easy. The ability for a couple to conceive every month that they try under normal circumstances in a young early 30 to 35 year-old female is approximately around 15% per cycle per attempt. The older one gets the more difficult it is to conceive and fertility rates certainly fall with age. So by assumption waiting for a few years until you are 42-43 years old would mean that you would probably have difficulty in falling pregnant compared to your first time around. This is caused by ovarian aging as well as poorer quality oocytes. In addition the other thing you need to bear in mind is that as one gets older the incidences of chromosomal abnormalities also increases.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo