Question
Posted by: WantaBaby | 2007/12/03

Clomid, stress, PCOS - HELP!

Hello,

I've been diagnosed with PCOS & have been taking Clomid, progesterone & estrogen for most of this year. I recently had a bit of a melt down & stopped sleeping & having anxiety attacks. I've since been working hard on these problems - with some success. I'm still depressed about not falling pregnant (like everyone on earth who cant' fall pregnant!).

I've never had regular periods & when I went off the pill, I lost a lot weight (also due to stress). I've since been eating a lot & put on at least 3 kg - so I'm eating right, going to gym, not drinking too much etc.

My main question is - is it possible for me to ovulate without taking clomid? I'm willing to try anything. I cannot face another gynae visit or hormone tablets.
I fell pregnant when I was 20. I'm now 30. I'm baffled as to how I fell pregnant then by mistake & now I'm struggling. Must be age!
My mother also had PCOS & struggled to fall pregnant.

I had anorexia at age 14 for about year or so & was very skinny for a while after that. I think my periods were regular before then - after that though, things went a bit wobbly. I have not had an eating disorder for the last 15 years - so it should have fixed itself by now?
My periods are very light - is this a problem?

Thank you very much in advance for you answer,
WantaBaby

Dear WantaBaby

It is not only the problem of ovulation function but also the problem of poor egg quality which often accompanies the metabolic syndrome – PCOS. In some cases ovulation may have returned to normal but unfortunately the egg quality is still sub-optimal and would lead to implantation failure or even miscarriage. In addition, patients with PCOS may have a strange condition of empty follicle syndrome(EFS) or lutenized unruptured follicle syndrome (LUFS). In your situation I would suggest that an aggressive approach to your fertility problem be considered i.e. controlled ovulation induction by means of injectables together with close monitoring and possibly in vitro fertilisation as well.

1
Posted by: lisa | 2008/01/03

Hi i have been diagnosed with PCOS after many numerous visits to GP's and Specialists. I was put on Glucophage which makes me feel very ill so therefore i have stopped it. What should i be taking? Im sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Im only 31!!!

Reply to lisa