Question
Posted by: butterfly007 | 2008/06/10

Clobazam(Urbanol 10) for anxiety

Is it better than Alzam. I suffer from severe anxiety at the moment and take 2-3mg Alzam daily. My neurologiste prescribed me Urbanol 10mg and said take as needed. How many mg would I need? The normal dosage is 1-3 tablets, but I am on a high dosage. I tried to phone and leave messages, but have not returned since last Thursday.

Alzam is Alprazolam, also a sedative tranquillizer. Sorry to hear that your neurologist is not available --- such a practising specialist has an absolute professional duty to be available at ALL times for emergencies or, as in your case, concerns about unclear advice, and if not personally available, ought to have a locum or to have arranged with someone else to deal with such queries.
Don't stop either med suddenly --- both have the potential to cause dependence, and problems if stopped suddenly. Secondly, neirologists are rarely qualified to treat anxiety disorders, so you should see a properly qualified Psychiatrist for a re-asessment and a discussion of treatment options. CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) for instance is a specific form of talking therapy which is extremely effective ( proved by good research ), and with lasting benefits. Often, some meds usually used as antidepressants may be very effective in clearing up anxiety. Drugs like Alzam and Urbanol are NEVER appropriate long-term remedies for anxiety, and never cure it, they merely relieve some of the symptoms, and do have the potential to cause problems of dependence with long-term and high-dose use.