Question
Posted by: Jasmine | 2004/09/27

Clipping Rotties Claws

Our Rottie is friendly but does not like the Vet.
In the past his claws kept short due to plenty of walks and runs but now that he is getting older, we dont take him out as much and the result is that his front claws are getting really long. Can and how may we clip his claws ourselves?

Many Rottweilers do not like their feet to be touched. However if he will allow you, lie him down on the side and simply take off the tip of the nail with a good set of dog nail clippers. Do not take off more than the tip, as this will result in pain and bleeding if you take off too much.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Chill | 2004/09/28

There's a bit of a knack to doing this... you have to be very careful not to cut into the 'live' part of the claw, which is difficult if the claws are black and you can't see what you're doing.

Just a word of caution: dog claw clippers have special blades - NEVER use scissors, pruning shears or human clippers, because what will happen is you'll crush the claw instead of cutting it cleanly.

Personally, I prefer my vet to do my dogs' manicuring....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/09/27

Hi Jasmine

You can buy a proper "claw clipper" from your Vet and ask for a demo whilst you are there - I am sure they will be much obliged to assist - my Vet did just that.

Reply to Lucia